Thursday, February 7, 2013

What's In the Bag?


So, the blog slipped on a little something more comfy. How d'ya like it? I'm loving the new change!

 

I was racking my brains trying to figure out what the first, official blog post would be and I was
inspired by Emily over at Greene Label Photography! She featured a "What's In My Camera Bag," post on her blog just a couple of weeks ago. You can find her post here!

 
I hopped right on my post this morning! :) So, without further ado here's the tour of my little pretty!


 


First things first, I sport an Epiphanie bag thanks to an AWESOME gift from my best friend. :) I had been lusting over "Ginger" for quite some time but just couldn't let myself make the jump. So, I carried around one of the plain ole black utility camera bags. Hey! It works and did me just fine for quite a while.



However, I'd found myself toting both a purse (because I can't give up my Coach or my Jessica Simpson for JUST the plain, black bag) AND the camera bag. NOT fun. Especially when on a trip. I was left with sore shoulders and the inconvenience of switching from bag to bag to retrieve items when I needed them. That, or the hubby ended up toting one or the other. Let's not even go into the massive eye roll I'd get every time I asked for THAT favor! ;) He's such a good sport!
 

 
 
Don't you just l.o.v.e. the cute little camera charm each Epiphanie comes with? Adorable!


The "Ginger" came in several colors but I settled on "bisque" simply because I figured it would be most functional. Black or brown; either way I'd be fashionable. ;)


This bag is so stinking functional. It houses padded separators that have Velcro lining so that you can change the bag up to fit exactly the items you need to place inside. I totally forgot to snap a picture of the inside!
 
 
 
 
Overall, I've been super pleased and I'm looking forward to purchasing a "Lola" in a bright, fun color in the near future. You can never have too many bags, right?!
 

 
 
I totally meant to space the items in my bag out a little more for more number room but... you know, I wasn't thinking.


The items pictured below are just a basic idea of what I may have in my bag at any given point in time. It honestly varies, depending on the session and there are certain items that go with me to every session that aren't pictured because they don't go in the bag! :)
 
 
 
 
1} My wallet!
 

2} My kit lens and my go-to zoom. I ALWAYS have my kit lens with me for those times where I need/want to shoot JPEG and "Auto" away from sessions. (Gasp!!) Yes, when I'm not "working" I sometimes put that puppy on "Auto" and roll with it. ;)
 

3} Sun glasses. Don't leave home without 'em!
 
 
4} My planner! I seriously LIVE by this thing. If I didn't have it, I'd show up to sessions a COMPLETE mess! It's where I note your suggestions, keep track of times and dates when I'm away from my office calendar and where I jot in your contact info! I need it to live!
 

5-7} My wireless remote, battery charger and tripod connector. The wireless is used in low light situation when I have to slow down the shutter speed. The other two are pretty self explanatory. ;)
 

8} Makeup. Duh! :)
 

9} Car keys.
 

10} Business cards! You never know when you get the opportunity to spread the word! These are always right in the front pocket of my Ginger.
 
 
11} A spare memory card and a lens cleaner! Smudges are inevitable and memory cards aren't always reliable! It's always good to have these items on hand!
 

12} My phone. :)

Not pictured are: my tripod (used in low light situations), a snack (cause I'm a fatty), client folders (with all of your information and releases for signing) and my go-to nifty fifty (because it was on my camera taking the pictures for this post!) :)


These items are my staples! Like I said, there are those things that I bring just for special situations. A lot of times, I'll bring goodies for mini sessions or lollipops for the kiddos. It all depends!


So, there you have it! That's muh bag! :) What's in yours?


Big thanks to Emily for letting me hi-jack her idea! Be sure to stop into her Facebook page and show her some love here! She currently services the Jacksonville, NC area (right where I'm from)!


If you haven't already, be sure to "follow" the blog and "like" the Facebook page to stay up to date on all things Erin Kent Photography!



3 comments:

  1. I was hoping you would share the type of zoom lens you use. I'm just starting out and trying to build my hobby into a business. I'm working with a nikon d7000 and 35mm/f1.8 fixed lens but wanted to add a nice quality zoom lens. Its nice to know you shoot on auto/kit lens cause i often avoid it thinking i need to better my skills at all times. I follow you on fb and love your work. I'm an army wife living in s.korea right now and enjoy looking at other photographers work. Great bag btw. I may need to upgrade from my big black utility camera bag soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there! I'm so glad that you follow along and that you're chasing your dreams! I'm a huge advocate of that. :) Work should never feel like "work." I actually shoot with a Canon but, although the brands are different, the lens types are generally the same both in make up and price.

      My prime lens is a 50mm f/1.8, which I just recently purchased and LOVE! My zoom lens is a 55-250. It's just a general zoom and faithful for those shots when it's needed. It's not great for situations where there's not a lot of room to work with. I'm not sure what the comparison is in Nikkor lenses.

      I hope I was able to help you some! And, yes! Go for gold when it comes to a bag! It makes a world of difference! ;)

      Delete
  2. Yes thank you very helpful. I actually bought a nikkor 50-200mm lens many years ago and never used it much. Maybe I will give it another go. Now I'm inspired. Beautiful blog and pictures as always :)

    ReplyDelete